1h. 53 min.
This itinerary provides a safe and well defined path for the traditional pilgrimages that reach the area from Vega Baja and across Crevillent, towards Cueva de San Pascual cave in the parish of Monfortina de Orito. Our starting point is located in Ainach track, nearby the road towards Hondon de las Nieves (CV-845), as we begin strolling among crop fields and country houses. This section is almost straight, as it goes across the river flood plain near Canal de Hierro before joining the Carrasca track.
This itinerary joins La Romana road (CV-846), near Hondo de Las Fuentes natural site. A traditional meeting place in certain times of the year, this leisure area plays host to annual events such as “Dia de la Mona” and “La Jira”. Access is via the town of Aspe through Avenida 3 de Agosto avenue. This route passes by the Council Sports Pavilion and opposite “Virgen de las Nieves” Care Home located near Orihuela Cross, a traditional religious element in the town.
Our trail continues via Castelar street where the council’s patron, Our Virgen de las Nieves, is received every other year. This is also where Wagner Theatre is located, a modernist style building completed in 1922 and refurbished in 1995. We advance towards the historical centre through San Pedro and San Jose streets leaving Plaza Mayor Square, the Valencian Baroque style Our Virgen de las Nieves Basilica Church (18th century), the historic Town Hall building (1641) and the early 20th century homes on our right. Our route leads us through Avenida de la Constitucion avenue, where “Casa El Cisco” (19th century), housing the Council’s History Museum is located, before turning towards Lepanto street to reach Tarafa river.
This itinerary descends towards Tarafa river course through the park located behind the coach station. At this point, we shall take advantage of the cycling tourist trail that runs along the watercourse, a track that was made available during an environmental restoration carried out by the Jucar Hydrographic Confederation. With its well preserved ecosystem, this river is populated by elm and poplar groves, as well as historical elements. Among these, are Rafa de Perceval (19th century weir built to divert river water for irrigation), Fuente de Barrenas, a fountain that supplied drinking water to Elche via the aqueduct comprising the 18th century Puente de los Cuatro Ojos and Puente de los Cinco Ojos bridges, as well as the remains of flour mills that existed in the area, such as the one situated in Meseguera. Finally, our trail ends at Quincoces track to join the Novelda and Monforte del Cid itineraries towards Cueva de San Pascual cave.